SVP Calgary acts as a catalyst, connecting passionate philanthropists and non-profits who together achieve unparalleled social impact.
PARTNERS & DONORS
Our partners and donors come from all walks of life, from young professionals and executives, to stay at home parents or retirees. As much as they are different, they all share a passion for our community and the desire to make it better. They know that together they can achieve a much higher impact.
How It Works
Become a partner
invest with time & money
SVP partners make a minimum, tax-deductible contribution of $500 annually. Donations are pooled to fund the local non-profits SVP supports as well as our programming and operations.
Partner roles are very flexible. There are several projects where donors can donate their time and work shoulder to shoulder with non-profits and each other to achieve unprecedented results.
- Strengthen local non-profits by volunteering their unique professional skills
- Shape SVP by participating on our internal teams
Become a Donor
invest with money
For those who want to invest in their community, but may not be able to invest in time, they can become SVP donors.
There is no minimum to become an SVP donor. Donations are pooled to fund the local non-profits SVP supports as well as our programming and operations.
These contributions are stretched further by our partners who volunteer their time and skills to strengthen our Investees, SVP, and the social sector at large.
Donate now. Our payments methods are as follows:
- Direct deposit through Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online credit card donation through CanadaHelps.
- Stock Transfer – Please contact us at email@example.com
- Corporate Sponsorship, matching, or payroll deduction program – Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and to initiate.
We assist non-profits in two ways:
What We Bring to the Table
- General Operating Support: (typically $10,000-$25,000/year for a multi-year capacity building partnership). We know you’re best positioned to decide where the grant money should be invested. Our funds are unrestricted.
- Tools to assess your organizational capacity: aka the strength of all those behind the scenes systems: human resources, financial management, communications, board governance, etc.
- Skilled volunteers who help build your organization’s capacity in the areas that are keeping you from reaching your full potential.
- A commitment to working in partnership: our focus is to help your organization go to the next level. We work in collaboration with non-profits, where we each bring our own expertise and skills and together, we can achieve much higher results.
What You Bring to the Table
- A willingness to take a hard look at what’s holding your organization back. We can’t solve or improve until we identify what needs to be solved and improved. Once we know what we need to focus on, we can get to work – together.
- Flexibility and openness to working with volunteers who have busy schedules and varied professional backgrounds.
- A commitment to be open about what is and what it not working for you. Honesty and clarity is how we’ll achieve best results. If something is not working well, we need to identify it and adjust until it does.
- An annual work plan and progress report that outlines the capacity building areas you are focused on, how they relate to your mission, and what you have achieved at the end of each year.
Before you Apply
Before beginning the applications process, here are the critical components we are looking for in an investee. Applying organizations should have:
- programs to increase resiliency in 12-15-year olds, specifically in the after-school hours;
- the majority of their efforts realized in the Calgary area;
- at least one year of audited or professionally reviewed annual financial statements; and
- charitable status with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) .
Request An Application
Does your organization meet the critical components? Request a grant application here by completing our brief questionnaire.
Interested, but requirements don’t quite align?
If you are a non-profit organization focusing on youth, aged 12-15 in the Calgary area, but don’t meet the critical components listed above, but may benefit from shorter-term, task-specific support from SVP, please contact Ranita Charania, Director, Partnerships and Community Impact at email@example.com.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essential to any organization’s success is their ability to communicate their value and impact in a compelling way. Fast Pitch is where you can learn how to effectively communicate about your organization and put that learning to the test.
It is a two month guided learning experience with practical elements for local, non-profit organizations. Non-profit leaders are assigned coaches who train them on how to succinctly and powerfully “tell their story.”
The program culminates in a “Fast Pitch” competition – where finalists share their stories in front of a live audience of 400 and local judges. Since the program began in 2012, we have given away more than $220,000 to local non-profits.
The application process for Fast Pitch typically opens in the spring of each year, however, due to Covid19, Fast Pitch 2020 has been postponed. We are always open to hearing from interested participants. Please e-mail us at email@example.com.